What's new

Can I mix pumpkin with vanilla cake mix? (1 Viewer)

WillowCat

I have a box of moist vanilla cake mix that expires soon and 15 oz can of pumpkin that I don’t know what to do with. Is it a good idea to combine these and if so how? I would also add cinnamon and nutmeg etc. Thank you!

Solution
Hi WillowCat

I tend to make all my cakes from scratch, but you can use pumpkin and cake mix together so you should be fine. Looking at the recipes, most people are opting for spice cakes, and ginger cake mixes to add the pumpkin to which I think is because the flavours complement each other.

There are a few other recipes, but they use a yellow cake mix and a whole host of additional ingredients like the cinnamon and pumpkin spices or vanilla. Some of the recipes I've spotted are calling for a 15 oz can like yours to be added to the cake mix, and then a few other ingredients or spices have been added for good measure. Each recipe has varying amounts so you may wish to experiment with the pack you have and make up your own recipe...
Hi WillowCat

I tend to make all my cakes from scratch, but you can use pumpkin and cake mix together so you should be fine. Looking at the recipes, most people are opting for spice cakes, and ginger cake mixes to add the pumpkin to which I think is because the flavours complement each other.

There are a few other recipes, but they use a yellow cake mix and a whole host of additional ingredients like the cinnamon and pumpkin spices or vanilla. Some of the recipes I've spotted are calling for a 15 oz can like yours to be added to the cake mix, and then a few other ingredients or spices have been added for good measure. Each recipe has varying amounts so you may wish to experiment with the pack you have and make up your own recipe.

Rather than throw any of the items away, it would be a good idea to experiment and see how the cakes turn out. Either that or there is a company called OLIO that is looking to prevent food waste, by redistributing food items that people wish to donate.

Whatever you choose to do with your ingredients, I hope this helps.

Good Luck 😊

Last edited:
Solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back