What's new

Begining at baking ... Please Help!! (1 Viewer)

hsp91

Hello, new user here!! *waves*

Didnt even know this site existed! So I'm very sorry if this post should be in another part of the forum, please direct me over there if it should be :plead::)

To cut a long story short, I have always loved baking. I have a general love of cooking really, I am a huge foodie, but baking is sort of a passion for me so I am surprised I haven't searched something like this out sooner. So, I love baking, but that doesnt nessairly mean I am very good at it. I mean don't get me wrong I make a mean Lemon Drizzle, but my icing turns into a big gloopy mess, and somehow ... well from a few house moves, I have found myself rather lacking in equipment.

I just wondered if any one has any basic equipment suggestions I could use to get me started, and any ideas to make my icing less gloopy and my spongers less lopsided! Thank you :D

Hi Hsp91 and welcome, we're glad you found us and yes we are here to help you on your baking journey. :D We love baking over here and helping, whilst you are here you may wish to check out the tutorial section which shows step by step guides with pictures for sponges etc. The Victoria Sandwich is a great easy recipe to try. With regards to icing do you mean glace icing as in the stuff you drizzle, full icing as in the stuff you roll out and place over a cake, or do you mean buttercream?

The only equipment I tend to use is my electric whisk and my hands, spatula, spoons, weighing scales etc I only get creative with tools when I do the cupcake decorating. Although I do have great tins, they are a must have for me.

No worries on posting in the wrong section, I can easily move the thread. Lol! :wink:

Last edited:
To make glace icing I use icing sugar and water and mix in a bowl, I do this in stages so I can work out the best consistency, remember you can always add ingredients in but you can't take them out. :D

With regards to your lobsided sponge I am wondering if the consistency of your batter is not strong enough to hold it's shape, make sure you use eggs at room temperature when baking as this gives better aeration when baking. As in bubbles and rise!

If your oven has been not hot enough at the beginning to actually start the process of baking properly or you have opened the door too soon then this could also have an adverse effect on your sponge as it will dip. Always pre heat the oven to optimum temperature before baking.

If you have your tins too near the side or together in the oven they will actually bake and grow towards each other or towards the sides of the oven.

Here are some further tips on cake disasters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back