What's new

Bakewell Tart help (1 Viewer)

Loll1982

My Bakewell Tart seems to have an eggy layer at the bottom, even when I put it back in the oven for an extra 20 minutes it didn't seem to make a difference, can someone tell me where I have gone wrong please.
I have enclosed a picture to show my problem.

Thank you in advance for your help.

image.jpg

Solution
Hi Loll

There could be a few reasons why you have an eggy layer. Firstly your eggs may not have been mixed in thoroughly or long enough, which could cause you to have a scrambled egg layer effect on your Bakewell. If your butter has been too warm, this may also cause the batter to curdle and create scrambled eggs. Baking on too high a heat could also bake your filling too quickly and cause you to have a scrambled egg result. When baking a tart always have it on a moderate heat and bake slowly.

For a Bakewell filling ensure you split your egg whites and yolk, I'm not sure how you made yours, but I always mix the butter, sugar, egg yolks and essence into a mixing bowl and cream together using an electric whisk. Once that's combined I...
Hi Loll

There could be a few reasons why you have an eggy layer. Firstly your eggs may not have been mixed in thoroughly or long enough, which could cause you to have a scrambled egg layer effect on your Bakewell. If your butter has been too warm, this may also cause the batter to curdle and create scrambled eggs. Baking on too high a heat could also bake your filling too quickly and cause you to have a scrambled egg result. When baking a tart always have it on a moderate heat and bake slowly.

For a Bakewell filling ensure you split your egg whites and yolk, I'm not sure how you made yours, but I always mix the butter, sugar, egg yolks and essence into a mixing bowl and cream together using an electric whisk. Once that's combined I then fold in my dry mix of almonds and flour, mix that in with a metal spoon. Then in a separate bowl, I whisk (using clean blades) the egg whites on full power until they turn to foam. Then add this to your other ingredients and fold in again using a metal spoon. Once you've done this pour this on your layer of pastry and jam, sprinkle on some more almonds and then bake in the oven on about 175°C for about 40-50 mins.

Here is my Bakewell Tart Tutorial which you may compare with your own and see if you have differences with the method or ingredients etc. This recipe works for me each time, and I always end up with great results as you can see below. Yours actually looks really good from the picture you sent so I'm sure with a little tweaking you'll end up with fab results next time.

Bakewell Tart.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
You're most welcome Lauren, your original one looked really good barring your eggy bit so I'm sure your next one will be fab. Always make sure you use room temperature eggs too when baking and if you need anything else then just gives us a shout. I look forward to seeing how you get on. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back