What's new

Bake sale help (1 Viewer)

MSchlick

Hi! I'm heading to a bake sale next weekend, my first event. I made a batch of mini-loaves, which I've stored in the freezer. My question is, should I thaw them out before I package them for the sale, or can I package them frozen?
Thanks!

Hi Mschlick and welcome to the site. 😊

First of all, I started giving you bread advice because I thought you were talking about a 'mini loaf', but now I'm getting the idea that we are talking little cakes instead. 😂

If we are talking mini cake loaves then I would thaw them out and allow them to acclimatise, they may have locked in moisture, and if you package them up in little boxes while frozen, they may go a bit soggy or sticky or cause condensation in the box. I'm not sure if you are adding any toppings either so if there is additional moisture, it may cause issues with your toppings sliding etc.

However, that said you could do a test run with one of the mini loaves before the big day, thaw one and package one frozen. If you are happy that the frozen one is showing no signs of condensation or stickiness to the cake and it works out how you want to then you may be worth leaving them frozen to keep them fresher for longer.

Hope this helps.

In the event you did want bread advice and not this then please let me know. 🙂

Hi Angie, yes, I was talking about quick breads (banana, zucchini, and blueberry oatmeal, to be precise). I'm torn, because I'm part worried about condensation on the baga if I do it frozen, but then worried about timing if I have to thaw them first

You could defrost them in the fridge the night before that way they will thaw and acclimatise slowly, and you won't be worried that they will still be fully frozen when you come to package them.

If you had pre-sliced the loaves, it would have been easier (although, I'm not sure if you are selling them by the slice or by the whole thing).

In all honesty, I would do a test run on one of them as that is the only way you are going to know how it's going to turn out. The last thing you want is to make all these lovely quick breads just for it to go wrong at the end. At least if you try one, you can see how it will turn out and then you'll be stress-free when it comes to the bake sale.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back