What's new

A recipe and guide on how to make Jam Tarts or Lemon Curd Tarts (1 Viewer)

A recipe and guide on how to make Jam Tarts or Lemon Curd Tarts

Tarts (102) - Copy.jpg
Jam-and-Lemon-curd-Tarts-Help-Me-Bake-480x357.jpg

Preheat your oven to one of the following:

• 200°C Fan assisted
  • 210°C - 220° degrees conventional oven
  • Gas Mark 6
  • 400F

Ingredients:- Rich sweet crust pastry ingredients and guide.

• 250 grams plain flour
  • 125 grams butter (or use ½ butter and ½ trex)
  • 1 and ½ teaspoons sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tablespoons (30ml) water
  • 1 Jar of Jam or Lemon Curd

Makes about 12-16 tarts, depending on size.

Method:

1 Place the flour, butter and sugar into a food processor.

2 Pulse the ingredients until it looks like bread crumbs. It may start to combine but may look a little dusty this is also fine.

3 Now place the following in a jug: 1 egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of water, beat them together with a fork.

4 Put the food processor on medium speed.

5 Pour about 20ml of your egg/water mix into the processor through the top part whilst it is processing, you will see the mix binding together. (You may need to tilt the processor towards you and away from you in order for it to combine all the ingredients from the sides).

6 Add the remaining liquid in stages until all the ingredients have combined in a big ball. If you find the ingredients are sticking around the edges, turn the processor off, scrape down the sides using a spatula or spoon and then trying processing again. This should allow the ingredients to catch and start to form a dough ball.

7 Once combined remove from the processor. (Be very careful as the BLADE is extremely sharp)!

8 Lightly dust a work surface with plain flour and roll out to about a quarter of an inch thick, rotating the pastry every few rolls to prevent it sticking to the surface.

9 Cut out your tart shapes using circle cutters and place them in a cupcake tin, you do not need to pre grease the tin as pastry does not stick. Once you have cut out 12 circles, you can then add the jam or curd.

10 Scoop the jam out of the jar with a teaspoon and place in the centre of the pastry circles, try to ensure you drop the jam or curd in the middle as it spreads when baking.

11 Bake nearer the top of the oven, I used shelf two, bake for approx 10-15 mins or until the pastry has turned a light pale brown colour. I baked mine for about 12 minutes.

12 Once baked remove from the oven and place the tin directly onto a wire rack with the tarts in it. Leave them to cool (WARNING: Jam and curd are extremely hot and will burn you severely if you eat them hot) once cooled fully remove from the tin and place them on a plate to enjoy! They can also be stored in a tin if required.

This recipe can be doubled up to make a larger batch or alternatively fill with sweet mincemeat and make mince pies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back