Here is a step by step tutorial on how to make a 9 inch Bakewell Tart.
Pre heat your oven to one of the following:-
Fan Assisted 175°C
Conventional Oven 190°C
Gas Mark 3
250 grams or 9 oz Plain Flour
125 grams or 4.5 oz Butter
1 teaspoon of Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
2 tablespoons (30ml) Water.
Large flan dish
Half to two thirds of a jar of Strawberry Jam.
100 grams or 3.5oz Butter (Non salted)
100 grams or 3.5oz Sugar
2 egg Yolks
50 grams or 1.7 oz Ground Almonds
1 Teaspoon of Almond Essence
50 Grams or 1.7oz Self Raising Flour
2 Egg Whites
Method: Stage one making the pastry base:-
1. To make the pastry base of the Bakewell weigh out the 250 grams of plain flour, 125 grams of non salted butter and 1 teaspoon of sugar and then place them in a food processor. I cube the butter to help it bind more easily.
2. Pulse the ingredients until it looks like very dusty bread crumbs and then turn the processor off.
3. Place the 1 Egg yolk and 2 Tablespoons of water into a jug and then beat together with a fork.
4. Switch the food processor onto a continuous medium speed, then pour about 20ml of your egg/water mix into the processor, you will see the mix binding together. You may have to tilt the food processor backwards and forwards for the ingredients to start forming a ball and binding properly. If your ingredients are sticking to the sides of the processor and not binding then switch it off and scrape the sides down with a spatula then start to re process.
5. Add the remaining liquid in stages until all the ingredients has bound together in a big ball.
6. Once combined, switch the processor off and then lift the blade out of the the processor along with the pastry. (Please be very CAREFUL as the blade is extremely sharp!).
7. Dust a work surface with plain flour and roll the pastry out to roughly the thickness of a pound coin or about a quarter of an inch thick. Ensure you have rolled out your pastry wide enough to fit in your dish. You do this by holding your dish above the rolled out pastry and size it to make sure it will fit.
8. Then using your rolling pin, lift the pastry and line a large flan dish with it. Position the pastry into place. (There is no need to grease the dish).
If there isn’t enough pastry to cover the dish then squash some left over pieces into the gaps and smooth together with your fingers and thumb.
Cut off any additional excess with a knife and then place the flan dish and pastry to the side.
9. Scoop the jam out of jar with a spoon and spread a layer over the top of the homemade pastry with the back of a spoon, cover all the base of the pastry.
0. Place to one side, you can now begin to make the topping.
Stage 2 – Making the topping/filling:-
1. Weigh out the 100 grams of unsalted butter and 100 grams of sugar and place them in a mixing bowl, then add 2 egg yolks and the teaspoon of almond essence, cream together using an electric whisk.
2. Once combined weigh out the 50 grams of almonds and 50 grams of self raising flour then fold them in using a metal spoon.
3. In a separate bowl place the 2 egg whites and then whisk them together on full speed until it resembles foam.(Your whisk blades have to be CLEAN if they have egg yolk or any other ingredients on them the whites will not foam).
4. Now add the foamed egg whites to your other mix and fold in fully.
5. Once combined together pour the mixture on top of the pastry/jam and sprinkle with almonds.
I sprinkle mine with ground almonds because I don’t like almond slivers.
6. Place in the centre of the oven and bake for approx 40-50 mins on 175°C.
7. Once baked remove from the oven and place the dish on a wire rack, you will see that the pastry has slightly shrunk away from the edges.
8. Slice and share when cooled!