Here is you step by step guide to making Choc Chip cookies.
Tip: Weigh out your 100 grams of butter and leave on the side at room temperature to soften for approx 30 minutes before making the cookies. If you forget to do this then see alternative Butter softening tip.
Pre heat you oven to one of the following:–
190°C Fan Assisted
200-210°C Regular Oven
Gas Mark 5
200 grams or 7oz Self Raising Flour
A pinch of salt
100 grams or 3.5 oz of Softened Butter
100 grams or 3.5 oz of Caster Sugar
1 Medium Egg
Approx 50 grams or 2 oz of White/Milk or Dark Choc Chips or alternatively cut up chunks of baking chocolate instead.
This makes approx 12-15 cookies depending on the size.
1. Measure out the self raising flour and place in a mixing bowl.
2. Add a pinch of salt to the flour.
3. Cut the softened butter into cubes and then add to the flour and salt.
4. Now weigh out and add the Caster Sugar to the bowl.
5. Using your fingertips rub the flour,salt, butter and sugar in between your fingers until it has combined and resembles a soft crumb like texture.
6. Crack your egg into a small bowl, lightly beat it and then add to your crumb mix. Fold in using a spoon, the mix should now start binding together.
7. Now add your choc chips or cut up choc chunks and mix in, you can use your hand to push the mixture together to form a dough.
8. Now scoop out a small amount of dough and make a ball shape using your hands, this is then placed on a pre greased baking sheet and squashed down with a fork.
9. Place about 6 balls onto the greased tray and bake in the oven for approx 15-18 mins or until golden brown. I baked mine for 15 minutes.
Tip: The middle of the biscuit may be slightly soft but please note that biscuits continue to cook after they have been removed from the oven.
10. Once removed from the oven place the cookies onto a wire rack using a cake slice, allow them to cool fully.
11. They are best eaten on the day they are made, however you may also like to wrap them in a candy pop bag and give them as a gift.