Apple Crumble Cupcakes Recipe and guide for you to try….
Pre heat the oven to:
180°C Fan Assisted
190-200°C Regular Oven
Gas Mark 4
*Remove your butter from the fridge at least 30 minutes prior to starting this recipe. 😉
50 grams / 2oz plain flour
25 grams / 1oz unsalted butter (chopped into cubes)
20 grams / 0.8oz soft brown sugar
1. Place the plain flour and chopped butter into a mixing bowl; using your finger tips rub the butter and flour together to make breadcrumbs.
2. Now add the sugar and stir in with a fork.
3. Place the Crumble topping to one side.
….Now to make the cupcakes:-
125 grams / 4oz soft brown sugar
(I didn’t have enough soft brown sugar so I added a little demerara sugar to make up the quantity)
200 grams / 7oz self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 or 3 Large Bramley Cooking Apples (or any Cooking Apples)
1 Medium size lemon
2 Medium / Large Eggs
100 grams / 3.5oz unsalted butter. (Chopped/Cubed)
1. Place the Self Raising flour, baking powder, cinnamon and brown sugar into a large mixing bowl put to one side.
2. Crack two eggs into a jug, put to one side.
3. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a small bowl or lemon juicer.
4. Peel the cooking apples (I used 2 and a half apples) and then grate them into a separate bowl, there will be grated apple and juice produced from grating, this is fine (avoid grating all the way to the core, if you prefer you can core them first).
5. Now pour the lemon juice in with the grated apple/juice and stir together.
6. Pour the lemon and apple mix (wet mix) into the mixing bowl full of self raising flour, cinnamon, baking powder etc (dry mix). Put to one side.
7. Place the 100 grams of chopped butter into a small bowl and melt in the microwave for 30 seconds.
8. Once melted add the melted butter to the eggs in the jug and whisk together then pour the egg/butter mix into the mixing bowl with all the rest of your ingredients.
9. Use a spatula to combine all the ingredients together, ensuring that all the flour has mixed in thoroughly, once combined I gave it a quick ten second blast with the whisk just to ensure everything was fully mixed.
10. The mix will look like rice pudding/porridge I then scooped out the mix into the cupcake cases using an ice cream scoop as this ensures you have even cupcake sizes.
11. Once all the mix has been put into the cases then sprinkle the crumble mix over the top.
12. Place the cupcakes in the middle of the oven and cook for approx 26 mins or until golden brown, I turned them round in the oven half way through for an even bake.
13. Once baked test with a skewer, leave in the muffin tin for approx five minutes then place the cupcakes on a wire rack to cool.
14. If you like them warm enjoy with a little warm custard!