Here is the recipe and guide on how to make Treacle Toffee or Bonfire Toffee
Caution this is a hot mix and may burn or scald.
475 grams / 17 oz Brown Sugar
225 grams / 8 oz Unsalted Butter
115 grams / 4 oz Golden Syrup
100 grams / 3.5 oz Black Treacle
½ Teaspoon Vinegar
60 ml or ⅛ Pint Water
200 grams / ½ a can of condensed milk
1. Place all the ingredients into a large pan.
2. Turn the hob to a high setting. (Warm the pan on the back burners so that the ingredients does not spit onto your skin).
3. Stir the ingredients with a wooden spoon until dissolved, boil the liquid for approx 5 minutes.
4. To test if the treacle is done place cold water into a sandwich tin or bowl and drop some treacle into the water, if you can push the treacle together to form a shape and it goes hard it is done and remove from heat. If not continue to heat and repeat the water process. It should ‘clink’ or snap/break when done. (The more it is boiled the harder it gets).
5. Leave to cool slightly then transfer to a greased sandwich tin to harden.
6. Break with a cooking hammer and serve.
Here is a mini tutorial.