Here is a recipe and guide on how to make a Chocolate Almond Cake
Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4 or 350F
100g / 3.5 oz Unsalted butter
200g / 7 oz Dark Cooking chocolate
40g / 1.5 oz Soft brown sugar
4 Medium/Large eggs – Separate; place the yolks in a cup and the whites in a mixing bowl.
40g / 1.5 oz Icing Sugar (Plus extra for serving)
85g / 3 oz Ground Almonds
5 Tablespoons of Self Raising flour
1. Chop the dark chocolate into small pieces and cube the butter then place in a bowl and melt in the microwave in 30-second bursts until the chocolate and butter have melted.
2. Once melted, remove from the microwave and stir in the brown sugar and egg yolks until combined then put to one side.
3. Whisk the egg whites on full speed with an electric mixer in a mixing bowl until it resembles foam and stands in soft peaks.
4. Add in the icing sugar and whisk until stiff.
5. Now add a tablespoon of the stiff egg white mix to your chocolate mix along with the almonds and flour, whisk on a slow speed until combined.
6. Then fold in the remainder of your egg white mix into your chocolate mix using a large metal spoon.
7. Spoon the mix into a prepared tin and bake for approx 40-45 mins or firm to the touch.
8 Cool for about 10 minutes before turning out on a wire rack.
9. Dust with the cake icing sugar.
10. This can be eaten warm with ice cream, raspberries or blackberries or fruit puree.(It can also be covered in a chocolate buttercream and sprinkled with chocolate decorations).